Saturday, October 19, 2013

Do It Yourself: Homemade Hot Pastrami Sandwich w Secret Sauce

http://instagram.com/ichompsf


Possibilities for sandwich ideas are could perhaps easily exceed the amount of combinations for Powerball.  That's because you can make anything into a sandwich.  For each and every sandwich imagined and created, I believe the winners are always going to be the ones created with attention to details and a secret sauce.  A huge part of a great sandwich its secret sauce!  Let me know a sandwich that has an amazing sauce and I can already tell you that's more than half way to a great sandwich.  I'm all about that SAUCE!  Now, I'm not a gourmet chef, but I do believe in putting some thought and love into anything I make at home.  This homemade hot pastrami sandwich was made for my mother before she left for work yesterday.  After her first bite of many first bites into all the sandwiches I've ever made for her... she excitingly blurts out,"Why don't you open a sandwich shop!?!"  Food is my hobby and I'm very passionate about my hobby but it wouldn't fair well as a job I think.  After I took my bite, I just couldn't stop thinking about that sandwich!  I wanted more and I still do as I'm sitting here right now in a cafe about to give up my recipe on this post... I'm going to hate myself for posting this because I'm going to drool all over my macbook.  Remember... anyone can make a great sandwich as long as you put some thought, love, and SAUCE into it!  There's nothing to it!  This just happens to be one I made up on the fly yesterday for my mother before she went off to work.

Ingredients:
(Organics Preferred)

2 Slices Whole Grain Wheat Bread
(You can use any bread you prefer.  Fresh, fluff, and a slight crunch on the outside are my favorites.  Properly heating up or toasting your breads make a huge difference in the taste and texture as well.)

1-2 Pieces from a head of lettuce

2-3 Slices of organic tomatoes
(I like heirloom tomatoes and Roma. You can use any you like.)

4-8 Slices of organic pastrami
(I get mine at whole foods prepackaged in the Deli Meat section.)

2-3 Eggs

1-2 Slices of American Cheese

Olive Oil

Sea Salt


Secret Sauce Ingredients:
(This is my secret sauce.  Feel free to play around with the portions or add/take away ingredients to create your own secret sauce!  Please share your favorite secret sauce with us!)
Parts to the Secret Sauce

2 Tablespoons Light Mayo
(I use Olive Oil Mayo)

1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard

1 Tablespoon Sriracha Sauce

The Secret Sauce 

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
(There is history behind this sauce.  Goes well with meats.  Check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcestershire_sauce)

1/3 Tablespoon/1 Teaspoon Wasabi/Horseradish






Steps:

1. Toast your slices of bread.  Brush or spray each slice of bread with oil to toast on a pan at medium heat.  Toast each side for about 30 seconds or until golden/browned.  Take off the pan and put aside on a plate.


 2. Eggs.  However you like them done.  I like over easy or scramble with yolk still runny.  Add sea salt to taste.  Put your eggs aside to piece your sandwich together later.
(Whatever you do, do not overcook your 


Wait for the white to cook half way
before breaking and stirring the
yolks for a runny scramble.
eggs.  A little undercooked is always better than overcooked in my book when it comes to eggs because they are so temperamental.  If you have not made eggs before it will take a little bit of practice to get them the way you want.)




3. Lightly oil or spray your pan.  Put a slice or 2 of American cheese in between your slices of pastrami and throw them on the pan on medium heat.  20-30 seconds on each side should melt the cheese making it gooey.  No goo... no good.  Put your pastrami aside.  (If the heat is too high or you leave your pastrami on the pan too long, your pastrami will become dry.  The key is to keep it tender and juicy.)

4. Put your slices of tomatoes onto the still hot pan on medium heat.  Lightly salt.  Just 20 seconds on each side should warm up your tomatoes and bring out the juices.  Put our tomatoes aside.


5. Spread the secret sauce on your each of your slices of bread.  Don't be stingy.

6. Put your eggs, cheesy pastrami, lettuce, and tomatoes on top of your olive oil toasted bread with secret sauce.  Slap your second slice of olive oil toasted bread with secret sauce right on top of it all.

7. CHOMP away!


http://instagram.com/ichompsf


No comments:

Post a Comment